About Us

Edward Spencer Pic
Pattie Spencer Pic

SPENCER FUNERAL HOME

In 1935 two young men decided to join together and start a business Lee S. Perry and C. H. Spencer purchased an old two-story house on Short Street in Madison, N.C. and started what is known as Perry and Spencer Funeral Home of Madison and Eden, N.C. serving a population of 30,000 in Stokes, Rockingham and Henry Counties.

In 1957 Edward J. Spencer the son of C. H. Spencer started another establishment on Henry Street in Eden, NC initially these firms did approximately 25-30 calls per year, today these firms are servicing between 200-250 calls per year.

In 1961 Edward J. Spencer with his wife Patty Joyce Spencer ventured to Mount Airy, NC to start their own funeral home. Mr. B. H. Tucker the owner of National Funeral Home was housed in a very small building on Virginia Street. National Funeral Home had been in business since the late 1920’s. Mr. Tucker and the Spencer’s were partners for a number of years.

In 1965 the business was relocated to a different address on the same street, again a two story house was converted in a funeral home.

In 1975 the Spencer’s bought out Mr. Tucker and that was the beginning of Spencer’s Funeral Home of Mount Airy, NC, still located on Virginia Street.

In 1980 Spencer’s Funeral Home relocated to it’s present location 824 Main Street. The facility was a three-story clothing factory that was converted into a very comfortable and efficient funeral home. The firm was incorporated and Edward J. Spencer served as its first President and Patty Spencer was Vice President.

The husband and wife team faced all kinds of adversity… Understanding that the funeral business by its nature is very ethnic, 85% of the blacks were done by white establishments, today all that has changed.

With the vigor’s and strains of operating a business the Spencer’s were also raising a family. In 1978 Edward N. Spencer, the son went to John A. Gupton School of Mortuary Science in Nashville, TN, both he and his sister Janet were in mortuary school at the same time. They graduated and returned home to continue in the family business…

In 1975 Edward J. Spencer and Patty J. Spencer became sole owner of what was known as National Funeral Home, and is now Spencer Funeral Home. The original mission was and still is to continue to provide every person with a dignified and affordable funeral, regardless of their economic situation. With the help of their children and grandchildren the funeral home embarked upon a course of unparalleled service. Edward N. Spencer, their oldest child, currently serves as president of Spencer Funeral Home. The Legacy of service continues along with the assistance of his wife Teressa F. Spencer who serves as secretary and treasurer. The Spencer Funeral Home has been a fixture in the community for providing outstanding service and today we continue to provide that same kind of personal service and compassionate support to the community along with the entire, Spencer family and staff.

First Funeral Home Afte Renevation
Second Funeral Home Afte Renevation
Current Funeral Home Before Renevation
Current Funeral Home After Renevation

Copyright © 2010 2001 Desktop Solutions